Intussen was ik, aangestoken door de foto's van prachtige rozenquilts en hebberig geworden door alle mooie rozenstofjes die te koop zijn, ook rozenstofjes gaan sparen. Ik had een aardig stapeltje, alleen geen idee wat ik er mee zou gaan doen. Mijn patroon van de workshop lag ook nog in de kast. Tot ik een keer geen idee had wat te gaan maken en daarom maar het patroon in rozenstofjes ben gaan uitvoeren. Dit is het resultaat, zo zie je maar weer hoe stofkeuze verschil kan maken.
A while ago I did this class on quiltdesign with the designer of the "be colourfull" patterns. We learned how to draft a pattern in the way she does it to. We had to take about a yard of background fabric and because I didn't have that much of one fabric I decided to buy it the weekend before at a show I was going to visit. It would have been wiser not to have done this, because most of the merchants only bring fat quarters and half yard pieces, there wasn't much choice. In the end I settled for a spotty dark green, I washed it and took it to class.
We started with drafting the design (everyone did approximately the same) and then I made the center mariners compass with flying geese around it, using my green as the background and yellow-to-red fabrics to go with it. When I finished the geese, I didn't like it at all, so it got tossed into my orphan blocks basket, where it is still lurking.
At the same time I had started to collect rose-fabrics. I didn't have a specific plan what to do with them, was just collecting them. And one day, when I wanted to sew, but couldn't decide what, I just started piecing the pattern from the class with the rose fabrics that were just laying about anyway. The result is pictured above, I like it much better than the first version.